Skip to main content
10 votes

In Northern England, what vowel phoneme is used in “can’t”?

Short answer: PALM According to Wells's Accents of English (1982)—the very book which gave us the lexical sets like START, TRAP, PALM, and BATH—while the TRAP–BATH split is largely absent in the north ...
Nardog's user avatar
  • 1,852
6 votes

Word for the dust carried by wind

Loess is the geological term. According to Wikipedia: A loess (US: /ˈlɛs, ˈlʌs, ˈloʊ.əs/, UK: /ˈloʊ.əs, ˈlɜːs/; from German: Löss [lœs]) is a clastic, predominantly silt-sized sediment that is formed ...
Stuart F's user avatar
  • 10.5k
5 votes

What did Tolkien apparently have against commas?

The form of the will is in "legalese", which, for reasons of tradition, abhors commas. It is more than likely that the terms of the will were discussed between Tolkien and the drafter and ...
Greybeard's user avatar
  • 43.1k
4 votes

What is the meaning of "sutting "?

This fairly extensive lexicon of UK "Drill Music" lists it as Suttin - (something) gun or weapon It's apparently not as specific as requesting a 4's or a bruckshot.
Spehro Pefhany's user avatar
3 votes

What did Tolkien apparently have against commas?

You'll find this question and answer in Stack Exchange's English Language and Usage. Are commas considered superfluous in legal documents? This isn't about tradition, it's about avoiding ambiguity.
RuthMcT's user avatar
  • 151
1 vote

How common is “you lot” for a group of exactly two persons and under what circumstances can it be used as such if any?

The expression “you lot” is commonly used in British English to refer to a group of people informally. It’s similar to “you guys” or “you all” and can be used for groups of any size, including two ...
michael298's user avatar
1 vote

x-stor(e)y or x-floor or x-level house/building?

Usually, the term "storey\story" is used when referring to an entire building. Like 'A four-storey townhouse', "That 38 story condominium", or 'his house is two storey'. When the ...
Aristocratic Jack's user avatar
1 vote

Where is the word "cutlery" in common usage

Cutlery is the standard term used in British, Australian, and Singaporean English to refer to forks, spoons, and knives for eating food. In America, people would say silverware if using the silver-...
Megas's user avatar
  • 121

Only top scored, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible