What is the proper word for describing the kind of teaching which based on executing/applying what you heard from your teacher without thinking of it or even applying reason. To just to do what you have heard.

  • The usual 'BrE' expression for blithely echoing what you have been taught is 'repeating [something] parrot-fashion'. From ODO: adverb British Without thought or understanding; mechanically: she repeated the phrase parrot-fashion – Edwin Ashworth Jul 19 '16 at 23:02
  • Indoctrination isn't quite right, but the question implies something more drastic than just memorization. – ab2 ReinstateMonicaNow Jul 21 '16 at 0:56
  • Not a dupe of that question. OP is not asking for a derogatory term, nor a term for the pupil. The request is for a term for a kind of teaching. – MetaEd Jul 21 '16 at 17:37
  • Questions which lack results of research are out of scope. Word or phrase requests are out of scope, unless they are expert-level, particularly interesting, unique, and thought-provoking, and show effort and research. For an introduction to the site, take the Tour. For help writing a good question, see How to Ask. – MetaEd Jul 21 '16 at 17:37

This is called learning by rote. A kind of learning style that isn't really learning but repeating exactly as you were told. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rote_learning.

  • what about the word "didactic", is it right as well? – Elpharaoh Jul 19 '16 at 22:01
  • @Elpharaoh Didactic just means "to teach" as in didactic methodology. Possibly you are thinking of pedantic, but that doesn't really work either. – Cascabel Jul 19 '16 at 22:05


is also a term you could use for what you describe.

Dictionary.com defines it as follows:


verb (used with object), memorized, memorizing. to commit to memory; learn by heart: to memorize a poem.

verb (used without object), memorized, memorizing. to learn by heart: I've always been able to memorize easily.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.