What is an alternative word to tell about 'over lit area'?

I am using it in this example:

The light from my lamp has over-lit my table.

  • "over lit" is not an idiom in English. What do you wish it to mean? What is the function of the word "over"? Do you simply mean "has illuminated"? – chasly - supports Monica Jul 12 '15 at 1:01
  • @chaslyfromUK I mean to say the areas are over illuminated rather than the required illumination. – thunder Jul 12 '15 at 1:07
  • 1
    @chaslyfromUK, deadrat What about 'bloom'? – thunder Jul 12 '15 at 1:13
  • 3
    'Glare' describes light reflected too brightly from the page. 'Harsh lighting' means it strains the eyes. – Hugh Jul 12 '15 at 1:17
  • 1
    Suggestion: The light from my lamp is too bright for my table. – chasly - supports Monica Jul 12 '15 at 1:22

The verb overlight (one word) means

to illuminate too brightly


You are already there

The light from my lamp has overlit my table.

  • 1
    There is a danger that "overlit" will be interpreted as meaning "lit from above". – Hot Licks Aug 22 '15 at 3:04

I'd suggest

to beam:

2 [no object, with adverbial of direction]

(Of a light or light source) shine brightly

The bright lights were still beaming down as bright as ever. (ODO)

Here's a Google Ngram showing the 10 most frequently used prepositions with "light beamed..." some of them are: from, on, upon, over...

So your sentence might read:

The light from my lamp beamed over my table.*

The light from my lamp beamed on my table.

The light beamed from the lamp above/beside my table.

*Note that this is another meaning of 'over' - here it means to extend over an area (i.e. your table) it is not a prefix over- (used to denote something is excessive) like in your word overlit.


You might try something that would convey the same meaning contextually such as engulfed.

The light from my lamp engulfed my table


Furniture Store Lighting--A phrase used to desrcibe a room or interior of a building with garish overhead fluorescent lighting that permits no shadows. It refers, naturally to the type of lighting used in furniture stores--a harsh glaring light so the customer can't ignore the goods on display.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.