My native language is Swedish. And I work as a webdeveloper. And at the moment I am working on a real estate website written in English.

A word that describes the area inside a property. For this I think the word "Living Area" is best (but please correct me if I am wrong). But what about a word that descibes the total area outside of the property (like, garden etc etc)?

Edit: I am looking for the word in US-EN.

  • merriam-webster.com/dictionary/yard -- (but wait for confirmation from a US member) Sep 1, 2015 at 8:58
  • 1
    I think this is the wrong word I am looking for. Think of if it is a farm or a mansion. Whith huge lands or forest or huge backyard. (all land included with the property) would for example "yard" be a good word for describing the lands of a farm? Sep 1, 2015 at 9:04

2 Answers 2


With reference to your comment, I think you can use:

Ground (s) :

  • (often grounds) The land surrounding or forming part of a house or another building:

    • a guesthouse on the grounds of the mansion.

The Free Dictionary

enter image description here

Gardens and estate grounds.

  • Do you think I could use Ground Area? Or should I only go with "Grounds"? Sep 1, 2015 at 9:36
  • 1
    I'd go with 'grounds'.
    – user66974
    Sep 1, 2015 at 9:40
  • "Grounds" normally refers to the property of quite a large house or estate, as in the photo. Typical middle-class homeowners, for example, do not refer to their front-yard and back-yard combined as their "grounds", except ironically. So "grounds" would apply perfectly to certain properties on the real estate website, but not to others.
    – TimR
    Sep 1, 2015 at 10:44
  • Property is also used to refer to a parcel of land, small or large.
    – TimR
    Sep 1, 2015 at 10:46
  • Do you have a better idea then Grounds Tim? Sep 1, 2015 at 12:24

There is a term little used outside the legal domain:

curtilage {Wikipedia}

In law, the curtilage of a house or dwelling is the land immediately surrounding it, including any closely associated buildings and structures, but excluding any associated "open fields beyond", and also excluding any closely associated buildings, structures, or divisions that contain the separate intimate activities of their own respective occupants with those occupying residents being persons other than those residents of the house or dwelling of which the building is associated.[citation needed] It delineates the boundary within which a home owner can have a reasonable expectation of privacy and where "intimate home activities" take place. It is an important legal concept in certain jurisdictions for the understanding of search and seizure, conveyancing of real property, burglary, trespass, and land use planning.

In urban properties, the location of the curtilage may be evident from the position of fences, wall and similar; within larger properties it may be a matter of some legal debate as to where the private area ends and the "open fields" start.

But 'grounds' is probably the safer option. Both legally, and for user-friendliness.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.