I was about to answer a question on this thread, and I wanted to refer to the inner upper part of a sock. Something like this:

Put a small label inside the inner upper part of your socks.

But this seems very vague. Is there any single word or a good phrase for it?

This will make it clear:

this part of the sock

  • I can't really make out which part you are referring to based on the provided image. Jan 25 '13 at 6:56
  • @coleopterist the part where exactly the arrow is,which is little thick
    – joey rohan
    Jan 25 '13 at 6:58
  • Sometimes when I read those single-word requests I think English that has already half a million or even a million words would need five million words if there were a single word for all those requested here on this forum. A single word for the upper inner part of a sock - really such a word is missing and we need it really urgently.
    – rogermue
    Apr 8 '16 at 18:41

The thicker (often elasticated) part of the sock is called the cuff of the sock. Knitting socks

If that's too specialised, then you could simply call it the open end.

  • Hmm..so we can refer to it as: inner part of the cuff?
    – joey rohan
    Jan 25 '13 at 7:11
  • 1
    @joeyrohan, Or simply the inner cuff.
    – JLG
    Jan 25 '13 at 7:27
  • 1
    Or inside the cuff or inside the open end.
    – Andrew Leach
    Jan 25 '13 at 7:28

Call it the inside rim. That's plain English.

inside adjective [attributive] situated on or in, or derived from, the inside: an inside pocket
rim noun the upper or outer edge of an object, typically something circular or approximately circular: a china egg cup with a gold rim

  • +1,this is more understandable
    – joey rohan
    Jan 25 '13 at 8:10
  • 3
    When talking about socks, I believe cuff is a better word to use than rim – but maybe there's a regional difference I'm unaware of.
    – J.R.
    Jan 25 '13 at 10:45
  • 1
    I have to agree, if you spoke to me about "the rim of a sock", I'm not at all sure I'd figure out that you meant the cuff.
    – Jon Hanna
    Jan 25 '13 at 14:50
  • I agree, a rim is something hard like a china egg cup, a cuff is specifically the edge of soft clothing, usually sleeves.
    – Mynamite
    Jan 26 '13 at 1:13
  • 1
    @Kris I've had a think about this, and I'm not even sure what a thick rim of suds is, in fact I'm having a bit of semantic satiation about it! If it means the suds collecting round the edge of a bath then I guess I would say the hardness of the bath holds the suds in place - take the bath away and the suds dissipate. But that might be a bit pedantic.
    – Mynamite
    Jan 28 '13 at 2:17

It's called the welt or the inside welt in this case.

  • 2
    Do you have any evidence, or reference to support your answer, just to be double sure :)
    – Mari-Lou A
    Apr 8 '16 at 17:52
  • 1
    A "welt" is generally a seam, resulting in a "swollen" area (which is how this usage derives). Sock makers generally try to avoid welts.
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 8 '16 at 17:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.