Use this tag for questions that are about finding a single word to fit a meaning. Describe the intended meaning, connotation, and/or context in as much detail as you can. Questions that show no research are likely to be closed.
A few sample questions that definitely belong in this tag:
- "community of experts"
- "obsession with publishing"
- "compliance with unspoken resistance"
- "beautiful and interesting"
- "device that provides constant doses of a liquid/dust/substance"
This tag should be distinguished from:
- phrase-requests, which is for questions specifically seeking multi-word phrases rather than single words, though both tags may be used in conjunction when you want a term but don't care if it's a single-word or multi-word term
- word-choice, which is for "versus" questions, when you already have several alternatives at your disposal, but are not sure which one to use
- vocabulary, which is for more broad questions, e.g. those that ask for lots of words at once
Before making a single-word request, ask yourself the following questions (taken from this meta topic about good request questions):
- Does the question describe exactly in what context you want to use a single word?
- Does the question specify the criteria for which the suggested word will be accepted?
- Does the question list which words you didn't like?
- Does the question show that you searched for a suitable word before asking the question?