Use this tag for questions that are about choosing the best word to fit a particular situation. For a question to be tagged thus, the alternatives to choose from must be explicitly provided by the question asker.
Please also provide as much details as you can about the intended context or meaning.
A few sample questions that are a good fit for this tag:
- effect vs. affect
- geek vs. nerd
- less vs. fewer
- jail vs. prison
- “per year” vs. “per annum”
- “I believe” vs. “I think” vs. “I reckon”
- plaza vs. square
This tag should be distinguished from:
- expression-choice, which is for questions about choosing between longer phrases
- single-word-requests, which is for questions about finding a single word to fit a meaning, when you haven't yet found any alternatives to choose from
- vocabulary, which is for broader questions, e.g. those that ask for lots of words at once