This tag is for questions seeking a phrase that fits a meaning. If you're specifically seeking only a single word, see the "single word requests" tag too.
Use this tag for questions that are about finding a phrase to fit a meaning. Describe the intended meaning, connotation, and/or context in as much detail as you can. Questions that show no research are likely to be closed.
This tag should be distinguished from:
- single-word-requests, which is for questions specifically seeking single words rather than phrases, though both tags may be used in conjunction when you want a term but don't care if it's a single-word or multi-word term
- word-choice, which is for "versus" questions, when you already have several alternatives at your disposal, but are not sure which one to use
- vocabulary, which is for more broad questions, e.g. those that ask for lots of words at once
Before making a phrase request, ask yourself the following questions (taken from this meta topic about good request questions):
- Does the question describe exactly in what context you want to use a phrase?
- Does the question specify the criteria for which the suggested phrase will be accepted?
- Does the question list which phrases you didn't like?
- Does the question show that you searched for a suitable phrase before asking the question?