My mother never asks a direct question. For example:
- Are you going downtown today?
- Yes, later this afternoon, why?
- Where will you be going?
- To the bank, why?
- So not to the grocery store or Walmart?
- No but I could, why?
- Oh, I just need some cream if you're able to pick me up some.
- Certainly, I can do that mom.
She's an 80 year old Google freak so I'd like to let her know her method of asking questions is not very effective by making a brief comment with a term she can look up. If I get too wordy or try to explain she tends to tune out.