The idiom "to double to on sth" in the sense of "continuing to do something in an even more determined way than before" is mentioned in the Cambridge Dictionary. However, personally, I've heard this exclusively in American English. Thus my question: is this phrase also commonly used in British English or rather just in American English? And if the latter is true, what would be a British equivalent?

  • I do hear it occasionally in England, but I think phrases like "get stuck into sth" are more common. – Tim Foster Mar 12 '19 at 10:41
  • I've never heard "to double to" (in the US). "Double down" is a gambling term and it means to be even more determined/bet more. – Hot Licks Mar 12 '19 at 11:54
  • @HotLicks: That's one usage. The other one is also mentioned in the Merriam-Webster dictionary: merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double%20down: "to become more tenacious, zealous, or resolute in a position or undertaking" – royskatt Mar 12 '19 at 12:02
  • 2
    @royskatt - Yes, but that meaning derives from the concept of doubling your bet. – Hot Licks Mar 12 '19 at 12:06
  • My dictionary says that "double down" comes from Blackjack (the player doubles his bet on seeing his initial cards). So I am guessing the other uses evolved from this one. – GEdgar Apr 20 '19 at 14:31

There are no relevant instances of double down in the British National Corpus and 491 instances in the Corpus of Contemporary American English, so it seem likely that this phrase is not commonly used in British English.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.