When someone prefer to study alone, on his own, without school, I am tempted to use "self-student". But this word apparently doesnt exist. Is there better way how to express this in one word?


I wish to express that someone is good self-student. For example "Peter is a good self-student"

2 Answers 2


Perhaps you are thinking of an "autodidact: a self-taught person."

See: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/autodidact


Definition of self-study:

A way of ​learning about a ​subject that ​involves ​studying ​alone at ​home, ​rather than in a ​classroom with a ​teacher.


The ​diploma is ​awarded ​following a ​course of self-study ​ending in a three-hour ​exam.

(Cambridge Dictionaries Online)

  • Thank you, however i a need noun. When i am adressing someone, i want to say "He is a good self-student".
    – HonzaB
    Commented Jan 14, 2016 at 18:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.