For example, when arguing "X is better than Y", one may argue in a way such that emphasizes "X is good" without mentioning Y, or "Y is bad" without mentioning "X", i.e., no actual comparison in the argument. What is the word for this logical error?

  • Does the sentence you're asking for mention both X and Y or just one of them? Because you say "X is good" or "Y is bad", just want a clarification.
    – Chris Gong
    Feb 8, 2017 at 5:06
  • @ChrisGong See my update.
    – xuhdev
    Feb 8, 2017 at 5:57
  • An incomparable error? Feb 8, 2017 at 6:18

2 Answers 2


From Wikipedia's list of logical fallacies:

Incomplete comparison – in which insufficient information is provided to make a complete comparison.


I'd call it an incomplete comparison. See also https://webapps.towson.edu/ows/faultycomp.htm.

  • I'm sorry, I didn't see you had edited your answer. Feb 8, 2017 at 6:34
  • No sweat. - - -
    – user7065
    Feb 8, 2017 at 6:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.