I think this is a bit of an anachronism, but sometimes in nursery rhymes or songs you'll hear sentences in which an adjective describing a noun is moved to be after the noun it describes, and I was wondering if there's a specific term for this. Examples:

"The little sheep black" instead of "The little black sheep"

"The virgin pure" instead of "The pure virgin"


It's a form of inversion, also known as an anastrophe.

Inversion, also known as “anastrophe,” is a literary technique in which the normal order of words is reversed, in order to achieve a particular effect of emphasis or meter.

| improve this answer | |
  • Be careful: in some contexts the term inversion refers only to placing the sentence's verb before that verb's subject, not to the rearrangement of any other syntactic elements. – tchrist Jun 17 '19 at 19:43
  • @tchrist Thanks, the reference at the link cites that case. – Gnawme Jun 17 '19 at 20:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.