So, recently I came across an article, which reads:

With the newer FPGAs housing dedicated processors, it is worth exploring how applications currently implemented solely on ECUs can be virtualized across the two resources

FPGA being Field-Programmable Gate Array, if that's important. And the thing I don't seem to get is that 'housing dedicated' part. What should that mean? The article is by no means about houses or anything like that, quite the contrary, it's all about embedded systems in electric cars.

  • It's "housing (dedicated processors)". Look in the dictionary for "housing" (as a verb) and "dedicated" (as an adjective).
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 10, 2019 at 17:57
  • (It helps to know that "dedicated processor" is a "thing".)
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 11, 2019 at 12:14

1 Answer 1


The verb to house means something like "to contain". So these are new FPGAs which now contain dedicated processors. A "dedicated" computer component means something like a separate component with that specific function (i.e. a separate CPU), rather than just part of a SoC or similar (a SoC does many other things besides CPU things).

  • Just to be a bit more specific, "dedicated", in this case, would mean part of the circuitry that is dedicated to being a processor, unlike the rest of the array which can be configured to any function (including a processor). I think housing is a terrible choice of word, here. It took me a couple of goes to parse it.
    – user323578
    Apr 10, 2019 at 18:15
  • @JamesRandom - "Housing" is perfectly idiomatic tech-speak.
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 10, 2019 at 21:18
  • @HotLicks: By that you mean computer speak? Even so, it is ugly. Apr 11, 2019 at 12:02
  • @Cerberus - :)) :)) :)) Nerd-speak is never "ugly".
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 11, 2019 at 12:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.