A word that means both furniture and appliances ?

Also optionally includes lawnmower, rakes, vacuums, brooms, cabinets, coat racks, etc.

An example would be...”Everyone is entitled to get for free any one brand new furnipliance for each enrollment"

  • 1
    Unless you're talking about something like rummage ("a confused miscellaneous collection"), I can think of no word that applies to both of those types of items. Plus, that word would include many other things too. – Jason Bassford Oct 26 '18 at 20:51
  • 3
    'Household goods' might do it. Or 'home contents'. Or even just 'stuff'. – Nigel J Oct 26 '18 at 21:28
  • Insurance companies call them contents as far as I know. You can insure home and contents (at least where I'm from), they're separate things. – Zebrafish Oct 26 '18 at 22:08
  • Hi Eagers, welcome to English Language & Usage. You might not be aware that there are strict rules for single-word-requests: "To ensure your question is not closed as off-topic, please be specific about the intended use of the word. You must include a sample sentence demonstrating how the word would be used." You can add this using the edit link. :-) – Chappo Oct 27 '18 at 0:28
  • Am I right in thinking that you want to exclude smaller items and personal items like books, clothing, musical instruments (other than pianos and other large keyboard instruments), jewellery and children's toys? – BoldBen Apr 22 at 21:32

Looking at literature around furnished apartments, it seems that they try to skirt around the lack of a fully generic word for the stuff that comes with the apartment. So it seems that there just isn't a word that means exactly “furniture and appliances”, let alone a word that works out of context. “Furniture and appliances” is a common juxtaposition. “Amenities” sometimes comes up, but it's too general since it can also include a lot of other things such as services, and conversely it only works if the things are provided with the house. “Items” also comes up, and I think it works well if the context makes it clear what you're talking about.


It may not be recognised by your target audience, but chattels


Chattels are items of personal property, ie. assets that are clearly identifiable and movable. Fixtures have been installed in or fixed to the property, therefore becoming part of the building.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.