There is a special term for when a place name is representative of something other than the actual place itself but I can't remember what it is.

For example: 'Brussels' may be used to refer to the European Union or 'Washington' to refer to the U.S. political establishment.

Does anyone know what this term would be?


2 Answers 2


It's a metonym.

metonym noun A word, name, or expression used as a substitute for something else with which it is closely associated. For example, Washington is a metonym for the US government. - ODO


Also consider the word "synecdoche". It's when one thing is used to represent a whole/larger thing (for example, the crown = the monarchy).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.