Is there a term for words like "wanna" or "gonna" which have been shortened from their originals of "want to" and "going to"?

  • Informal expressions, slang expressions. ecenglish.com/learnenglish/node/403
    – user66974
    Sep 28, 2017 at 9:38
  • But (to my surprise) becoming more standard nowadays. Found even in formal writing.
    – GEdgar
    Sep 28, 2017 at 11:37

2 Answers 2


They are called contractions.

  • Welcome to ELU. The majority of this answer is a direct quote from Wikipedia. While corroboration is fine and encouraged, quotes must be preceded by > and correctly cited [and linked, if online]. I've done this here.
    – Andrew Leach
    Sep 28, 2017 at 10:05
  • gonna /ˈgɒnə / informal ▸ (contraction) going to: so what you gonna do now?

  • wanna /ˈwɒnə / informal ▸ (contraction) want to; want a: you wanna know how low I've stooped? I wanna guitar. OxfordLivingDictionaries

  • That's not OED you've linked to, mahmud. It's a different Oxford dictionary. Sep 28, 2017 at 13:09
  • @EdwinAshworth, Yes, you are right. Thanks for pointing out the mistake. It's OLD! Sep 28, 2017 at 13:57
  • I use the abbreviation ODO, which I think is the one the Meta people advise us to use. Sep 28, 2017 at 14:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.