Is there a term for words like "wanna" or "gonna" which have been shortened from their originals of "want to" and "going to"?

marked as duplicate by Edwin Ashworth, Mitch, ruakh, Laurel, FumbleFingers Sep 29 '17 at 13:51

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

  • Informal expressions, slang expressions. ecenglish.com/learnenglish/node/403 – user66974 Sep 28 '17 at 9:38
  • But (to my surprise) becoming more standard nowadays. Found even in formal writing. – GEdgar Sep 28 '17 at 11:37

They are called contractions.

  • Welcome to ELU. The majority of this answer is a direct quote from Wikipedia. While corroboration is fine and encouraged, quotes must be preceded by > and correctly cited [and linked, if online]. I've done this here. – Andrew Leach Sep 28 '17 at 10:05
  • gonna /ˈgɒnə / informal ▸ (contraction) going to: so what you gonna do now?

  • wanna /ˈwɒnə / informal ▸ (contraction) want to; want a: you wanna know how low I've stooped? I wanna guitar. OxfordLivingDictionaries

  • That's not OED you've linked to, mahmud. It's a different Oxford dictionary. – Edwin Ashworth Sep 28 '17 at 13:09
  • @EdwinAshworth, Yes, you are right. Thanks for pointing out the mistake. It's OLD! – mahmud koya Sep 28 '17 at 13:57
  • I use the abbreviation ODO, which I think is the one the Meta people advise us to use. – Edwin Ashworth Sep 28 '17 at 14:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.