Is there a term for words that have been altered in this way?

For example, when speaking about a dignitary that is a dog, using "dognitary"


3 Answers 3


It is a portmanteau, a word formed by merging two other words. Smog (smoke + fog) is a well-recognized example of portmanteau.

That is, if dognitary itself were a recognized word listed in the dictionary, it would be portmanteau.

But, since dognitary is not in the dictionary yet (but it should be, since everyone knows what a dognitary is), it is a sniglet instead. This term was coined by comedian Rich Hall in the 1980's.

  • 1
    Does a portmanteau need to appear in the dictionary to be a portmanteau, though? I would argue that 'Bennifer', while appearing (one hopes) in no dictionary, is still a portmanteau.
    – Pat J
    Commented Dec 20, 2013 at 21:46

I would call that a form of "mash-up", as defined by oxforddictionaries.com:

noun, informal

a mixture or fusion of disparate elements

  • Downvoter, no feedback? Commented Dec 20, 2013 at 23:04

I'll hazard a guess with wordplay, or more specifically, pun.

I'll accept that "pun" usually requires a play to be made on two words that sound similar to each other. Whether the similarity is sufficient to warrant the definition pun in the example you give is open to challenge.

  • I would agree that they fall under wordplay, but that is a fairly broad term and I was looking for something more specific.
    – davis_m
    Commented Dec 20, 2013 at 19:41
  • yeah -- okay... I'm inclined to suggest a pun then, but only insofar as as the word with the substituted letter sounds similar to the original. I do agree that this might be stretching it though.
    – Brad
    Commented Dec 20, 2013 at 20:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.