"Hypebeast" is not the word I am looking for, as I would associate a "hypebeast" as someone obsessed with frivolous possessions like overpriced brand-name clothing and fashion in general.

I need a more generalized word/phrase that would describe somebody who cares about the latest technologies, equipment, products, etc. Thanks in advance.

  • Perhaps tech-savvy or techie/techy? – mahmud koya Sep 9 '17 at 17:14
  • perhaps an early adopter – Martin Smith Sep 9 '17 at 17:18
  • Is it just for the sake of having the latest / best gear? Or do they generally use it as well? As "all the gear, no idea" springs to mind, if they have Everest grade hiking gear to go for a walk in the woods for example. – RemarkLima Sep 10 '17 at 5:31

You could try technophile for someone who is attracted to shiny new technological things.

It's opposite would be technophobe.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Somewhat offtopic, I dislike the idea of referring to technophobes as if they have a phobia. It's hardly ever an irrational fear of technology, and more often its only an inability to easily adopt it. – Flater Sep 27 '17 at 14:41

"Somebody who cares about the latest technologies, equipment, products, etc" (as a consumer) is the direction in which the word geek seems to be evolving (by contrast to nerd).

See: Which term correctly identifies those who enjoy programming/technology: "geek" or "nerd"?

|improve this answer|||||

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.