"Hypebeast" is not the word I am looking for, as I would associate a "hypebeast" as someone obsessed with frivolous possessions like overpriced brand-name clothing and fashion in general.

I need a more generalized word/phrase that would describe somebody who cares about the latest technologies, equipment, products, etc. Thanks in advance.

  • Perhaps tech-savvy or techie/techy? Sep 9, 2017 at 17:14
  • perhaps an early adopter Sep 9, 2017 at 17:18
  • Is it just for the sake of having the latest / best gear? Or do they generally use it as well? As "all the gear, no idea" springs to mind, if they have Everest grade hiking gear to go for a walk in the woods for example.
    – RemarkLima
    Sep 10, 2017 at 5:31

2 Answers 2


You could try technophile for someone who is attracted to shiny new technological things.

It's opposite would be technophobe.

  • Somewhat offtopic, I dislike the idea of referring to technophobes as if they have a phobia. It's hardly ever an irrational fear of technology, and more often its only an inability to easily adopt it.
    – Flater
    Sep 27, 2017 at 14:41

"Somebody who cares about the latest technologies, equipment, products, etc" (as a consumer) is the direction in which the word geek seems to be evolving (by contrast to nerd).

See: Which term correctly identifies those who enjoy programming/technology: "geek" or "nerd"?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.