What is the grammatical name for a sentence whose predicate is a complete sentence with a subject and a verb?

As in the following example:

Those who stole money from the company — we will fire them; those who revealed the crime — we will reward them.

I know this example can be inverted to read:

We will fire those who stole money from the company and we will reward those who revealed the crime.

But I want to know the linguistic term for the type of sentence I am asking about.

1 Answer 1


Moving a constituent to the beginning of the sentence to give it prominence is called fronting (or preposing). Fronting is one aspect of information structure (or information packaging).

The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar (p166) has the following explanation of fronting:

The placing of a constituent at the beginning of a sentence, clause, etc., often to achieve a certain effect.

English sentences typically begin with a subject, but other functional elements—object, predicative complement, adverbial, and even part of the predicate—can be placed at the beginning, typically for information structuring reasons, for instance in order to mark the topic/theme.

The specific construction you are asking about:

Those who stole money from the company — we will fire them

as opposed to:

Those who stole money from the company we will fire.

includes them as a kind of resumptive pronoun.

There may be a specific term of which I am unaware for this kind of fronting/information structure.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.