I am looking for words analogous to ‘to greet’ and ‘greeter’, to use about people as they depart. I may say:

Claire stands at the entrance and greets people as they arrive. She is a greeter.

I want to say:

Sam stands at the exit and ??? people as they leave. He is a ???.

I have found the word ‘valediction’, which is defined as ‘the action of saying farewell’, but I cannot find anything that means ‘the person who performs valediction’. There does not seem to be a verb ‘to valedict’.

What words (verb and analogous noun) best describe Sam’s role?

  • Wiktionary has fareweller which is probably the closest you can get to having a word meaning "someone who says goodbye to people", though obviously it isn't in a proper dictionary. – John Clifford Mar 12 '16 at 11:54
  • "Glad you leave !" or "Happy to get rid of U !" :O) (Valediction means bye for ever we won't meet again before Inferno) – DAVE Mar 12 '16 at 12:17
  • Sam is accepting the thank-yous of his guests as they leave. It's standard socially at some events to thank the host (and/or hostess) as one leaves and say whatever else there is to say. – Xanne Mar 30 '18 at 7:43
  • @JJJ Clearly, the OP wanted a verb AND its derived noun equivalent. Part is the verb, but "parter" does not work the same way as "greeter" does. – Mari-Lou A Apr 2 '18 at 13:27
  • 1
    But the possible duplicate link was posted by you. That's why I pinged you. Now your old comment (dated 29/30 march?) has gone. In the meantime, there are still three votes that are saying this question is a duplicate. It's not. – Mari-Lou A Apr 2 '18 at 14:00

I don't think there is a suitable one word to use as a verb other than "bid farewell". Oxford Online Dictionary mentions that to farewell is used as a transitive verb in Australian and New Zealand English as in:

I farewelled my Scandinavian companions, and departed on a Kodiak boat with the Americans Judy, Hank and Cody.

For the noun, you could consider good-byer which means:

A person who is saying goodbye.

[Oxford Online Dictionary]


It's not what you were looking for, but Sam can be described as the

host or doorman


  1. a person who receives or entertains guests at home or elsewhere: the host at a theater party.

  2. a master of ceremonies, moderator, or interviewer for a television or radio program.

Emily Post says

Six Ways to Be a Good Host

6) Be appreciative. Thank people for coming as you bid them good-bye. And don’t forget to thank anyone who brought you a gift.

doorman: the door attendant of an apartment house, nightclub, etc., who acts as doorkeeper and may perform minor services for entering and departing residents or guests.

The verb is easier.

take leave

(Also, take one's leave of) Depart from, say good-bye to. Sorry but I have to take leave of you now. After the movie we'll take our leave of you. [Mid-1200s ]


I would like to propose extending the word valediction (the action of saying farewell) to the new forms of valedictate and valedictator.

The valedictator valedictated valedictions to the parting guests.


valediction- N. an act of bidding farewell

valedictory- Adj. of or relating to a valediction : expressing or containing a farewell N. an address or statement of farewell or leave-taking

valedictorian- N. person who delivers the valediction

  • 1
    Hi, welcome to EL&U. Please cite your references; your definition of valedictorian could be misleading. I encourage you to take a tour of the site and see the help center to keep contributing. What verb would you use? – livresque Jul 8 at 0:51
  • This term is normally used for something far more elaborate than what the OP has in mind. – jsw29 Jul 8 at 21:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.