I have built a small "pool type" house on my estate villa. The house has a separate entrance, so where I enter the villa via my secure gates, the villa sits on the side. It has separate rooms and is completely closed off from my garden; you can only enter it from the street. I plan to rent it out to tenants.

The tenants have asked if there is a technical term for this type of property?

Below is a picture of it. You can see the building on the left. (The door and two lights)


  • 1
    You say "the villa sits on the side". Do you mean this structure that you don't know the name of , that sits on the side?
    – Mitch
    Commented May 5, 2015 at 14:50
  • Detached guest house?
    – ermanen
    Commented May 5, 2015 at 15:14
  • Illegal, unless there's enough means of egress; "only enter from..."
    – Mazura
    Commented May 26, 2015 at 23:51
  • @Mitch. I meant that his villa entrance is on the side of the house on the right and that is a long driveway to the main house. This house sits on the left and is much smaller and is at the start of the garden adjacent to his entrance. Commented May 27, 2015 at 4:46
  • I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about now, but it was unclear which buildings you were referring to when you use 'house' and 'villa' (sometimes you seem to use it for the main house, others for the unnamed smaller building with the street door). Also, it would help to know if this is mostly for British or American readers or some Caribbean island (this could change the relevant vocabulary considerably).
    – Mitch
    Commented May 27, 2015 at 11:42

2 Answers 2


One technical term is a lodge (or estate lodge, or porter's lodge). They were cottages which were adjacent to the main gates of an estate, intended to allow gatekeepers accommodation so they could open the gates as needed.

They could be outside or inside the main gates of the estate. Yours is outside.

Here's another with its principal doorway outside the main gates to the estate: this is the Gate Lodge on the Dalmunzie Estate near Pitlochry.

Gate Lodge, Dalmunzie Estate

With the decline in the employment of servants and the need for this accommodation, most of these properties these days are now owned separately from the main estate and its house.


It's often referred to as a cottage, a tenanted cottage or an estate cottage.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.