In the past I had only heard the term "sports meet" and I assume it is American English. Recently, though, I have heard some English language learners call it "sports meeting." Is that British English?

  • 2
    In the USA it's called a "meet". Elsewhere, I understand it's called a "meeting" or a "tournament" or a number of other names. Sports is very local. Apr 21, 2015 at 2:50
  • 2
    In the US a "sports meeting" would be ambiguous, and would probably be more likely to be interpreted as a meeting (as in the school cafeteria) whose subject is sports.
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 21, 2015 at 3:13

3 Answers 3


In the US it's meet:




b : a sports meeting consisting of competitive events especially in track and field, swimming, or gymnastics contested by individuals and often by relay or other teams

c : a sports contest of any of various other kinds

basketball meet

trapshooters' meet

sports car meet

d : a festival or competition of any of various other kinds

singing meet

Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary


A sorts meeting could be a meeting (as in discussion) about sports. Sports meet is kind of a festival having number of sporting events. As an example, inter house sports meet is an annual festival schools may have.


Sports meet

seems like slang or even outright poor English to me. Looking for a definition, the term simply doesn't exist.

Sports meeting

is the correct way to say it.

sports meeting - a meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held

  • 3
    Though I've also had trouble finding it online, I've been in sports for the past 20 years, and every one of them (American) has called them a "sports meet". I'd never even heard the term "sports meeting" until just now.
    – Nicole
    Apr 21, 2015 at 2:55
  • 1
    meet: 2 An organized event at which a number of races or other athletic contests are held: ODO
    – ScotM
    Apr 21, 2015 at 7:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.