I am from the UK, and am not familiar with the term "speech balloon".
I have always used and heard "speech bubble" instead.

Are the 2 meanings the same?
Is there some kind of difference in British/American English usage?
(I don't really use speech bubbles so could be due to lack of knowledge.)

  • 1
    Both terms are in use and mean the same thing - the white area that speech is written into in comics with an arrow pointing to the speaker.
    – Oldcat
    Commented Nov 7, 2014 at 0:34
  • I seem to have seen them described as 'call outs'. Or am I thinking of something else?
    – WS2
    Commented Nov 7, 2014 at 1:02
  • @WS2- it depends on what they're used for. IF they are on a diagram and are calling out or making specific note of a feature then they're a call out if they are in a comic containing spoken dialog then they are not a call out but rather a "speech balloon" or "speech bubble". I might make a distinction between bubble and balloon based on the type of connector between the person and the speech. if the connector is a series of small (or progressively larger bubbles) then I'd call it a bubble. If it's a thin line like the string of a balloon, then I'd call it a balloon.
    – Jim
    Commented Nov 7, 2014 at 1:35
  • I'm partial to speech dirigible, but only if the speaker is running.
    – Drew
    Commented Nov 7, 2014 at 5:07
  • @Jim the series of bubbles of increasing size is usually used for thoughts, not speech. I think they usually lead to a cloud rather than an oval or rectangle.
    – Barmar
    Commented Nov 9, 2014 at 23:19

1 Answer 1


The meanings are the same. You can also use dialogue balloons or word balloons. Just make sure you're not mixing up speech bubbles with thought bubbles.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.