How does one say in English when, as a reaction to cold, a person crosses their arms, grabbing their own shoulders? It is a very common gesture, not shrugging as "I don't care", but to keep the cold off. I believe there is one verb, but I can't remember it.

  • do you mean, the verb- cuddle? – adityasrivastav Feb 12 '15 at 13:23
  • 2
    @adityasrivastav I don't think so. Cuddling is what one person does to another. Hugging oneself (maybe/maybe not the right phrase) is what you do to keep yourself warm. – Mitch Feb 12 '15 at 13:28
  • Yes, I mean what one does to himself for warmth. – Norrsken Feb 12 '15 at 13:40

Hugging oneself for warmth comes to mind

Have a look at Google Books


You might be thinking of huddle (not cuddle). While this is usually used for a group ("huddled together for warmth"), it can also be applied to individuals "huddled miserably in his greatcoat".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.