I would definitely say that the term TV is informal (while television is formal), however I have found "TV" in some formal compositions.


It is somewhat more informal than television, but not very much so; while I'd certainly prefer television in most written texts, I'd not be shocked at reading TV either, perhaps not even in a scientific research paper. Others might disagree. In official documents, however, I strongly recommend television.

  • a technical paper may well include an abbreviations page defining TV (and other abbreviations) and then go on to use TV in the main body
    – jk.
    Mar 1 '11 at 13:10
  • 1
    @Jasper Loy, I think on the European side of the Atlantic, the word refrigerator has all but died out.
    – TRiG
    Jun 17 '11 at 13:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.