I came across "make a stride" while I read some articles about global climate change. However, I am not sure if that is formal enough to use in writing an academic essay. If not, what are the formal words for this?

1 Answer 1


It is formal and instead of make a stride you can use;

advance considerably, make substantial progress or decisive progress.

'Make a stride' is usually used with 'great' as in' make a great stride'.

  • In terms of Climate Change, I would use such an expression with a lot of caution ... it is the sort of phrase a government media release might contain, and quite often such phrases are used precisely because they are difficult to quantify. I would not use it in an academic paper - other than to "quote" other sources, and in the process of running a critique of the claimed progress made (in Climate Change policies or anything else). So I would avoid it because it can be seen as effusive, as much as being a bit informal for a paper.
    – Cargill
    Dec 1, 2015 at 7:56
  • You are right. Stride has 'great' meaning in it. I have never used 'make a stride' but '... advanced considerably in the past years' and '... made substantial progress in ...' on the papers I have written.
    – Grizzly
    Dec 1, 2015 at 8:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.