What is the name of this elevated street crossing thing (In Britain?)

enter image description here

enter image description here

enter image description here


As a native British English speaker I would call it a footbridge

A bridge designed for pedestrians

although some might call it an overpass

A passage, roadway, or bridge that crosses above another roadway or thoroughfare.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Or a pedestrian bridge – JLG Nov 15 '13 at 21:44
  • 1
    In the US, if the purpose of the structure is to separate foot traffic from vehicular traffic it would be called a pedestrian bridge. Taking a quick look at the Ngram, this phrase is equally shared between US and UK. – Michael Owen Sartin Nov 15 '13 at 22:04
  • I have also seen it designated as skyway in some places, though footbridge is by far the commonest term. – user49727 Nov 15 '13 at 22:08
  • 1
    In Britain it is either a 'footbridge', or a 'pedestrian bridge'. – WS2 Nov 15 '13 at 22:09
  • In the US, an overpass is normally a bridge for motor vehicles to pass over other road or rail traffic. It would introduce confusion to call a pedestrian bridge or footbridge an "overpass". skyway is usually used (in the US) for long or high bridges (for traffic), such as the Sunshine Skyway in Florida. elevated walkway is sometimes used instead of pedestrian bridge or footbridge. – Phil Perry Mar 7 '14 at 16:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.