Is there any term for the habit of playing around with words, or even names, and nickname them? Like 'No' becoming 'nopes', 'whatever' becoming 'tevs', milky-wilky etc. This happens a lot with cricket teams, who keep nicknaming people - Wilkinson becomes Willy or Wilks, Hogg becomes Hoggy (though it's longer).

  • For people, "nicknaming" would be the word I would use.
    – Rory Alsop
    Jun 20 '12 at 8:48

'Nicknaming' specifically for names.

Other words you can use: 'abbreviation' or 'to abbreviate' and 'dimimutive'

di·min·u·tive (adjective) /diˈminyətiv/ 

Extremely or unusually small - a diminutive figure dressed in black

(of a word, name, or suffix) Implying smallness, either actual or imputed in token of affection, scorn, etc., (e.g., teeny, -let, -kins)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.