NOAD describes a figurehead as

a nominal leader or head without real power.

I'm wondering if there's a complementary one-word term for the person who does wield the power in such a situation. I'm aware of the phrase, power behind the throne,

a person or organization that exerts authority or influence without having formal status.

I'm just hoping there's a way to refer to such a person more directly and succinctly.

  • 2
    From The Wizard of Oz, there's the man behind the curtain. Jan 30, 2012 at 0:40

4 Answers 4


Though kingmaker originally meant the person with power to influence the choice of prince, it is also now used in a larger sense of power behind the throne.


If you don't mind using French, and if you can accept two words, there's éminence grise.

  • 1
    Which, unfortunately, has come to mean elder statesman in current usage; otherwise, éminence grise captures it perfectly.
    – Gnawme
    Jan 30, 2012 at 7:51
  • @Gnawme: There is no such suggestion in the OED's definition and citations. I suppose the association with age, if there is one, has come about through understanding 'grise' as 'grey-haired'. Jan 30, 2012 at 7:58
  • Perhaps it's an American perversion. When I consult COCA, about 5 of the 25 results appear to use the term in the sense of "power behind the throne."
    – Gnawme
    Jan 30, 2012 at 8:05

puppet master as they are pulling strings of a puppet


Éminence grise hits the mark pretty closely: anyone who has great influence, usually over a figurehead, such as a pontiff or (henpecked) husband without being observed much in that role. The Hidden Hand conveys the same idea.

  • "The Hidden Hand". Are you referring here to the invisible hand, Adam Smith's coinage?
    – MetaEd
    Jan 31, 2012 at 22:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.