In a room there is a server, switch, router and SAN switch. What can we call them in general? Can we call them "machines" or "equipment"?

2 Answers 2


It's usually just called Hardware.


"computer systems" may be the formal phrasing, but "servers" is more common. Consider the name of the room itself: often referred to as a datacenter (when dealing with large scales) or the "server room" (when dealing with a smaller scale). While "servers" is a bit of a misnomer, since there may telecommunication equipment in the room, the label is understood as a synecdoche of all equipment. (As I understand it, "server room" has been in use since the late 70s, before that "computer room" was used.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.