The word 'centerpiece' refers to the decorative piece in the center of a dining table. In the German translation ('Kernstück'), we can also use it figuratively, e.g., to refer to the central point of a text or theory. For example, we may say:

Comparative advantage is a centerpiece of theories on international trade.

Does this usage also exist in English? If not, what would be a better translation ('mainstay' perhaps)?

  • 3
    I would say yes, but generally (since there is only one centerpiece) things would be considered "the centerpiece". – katatahito Jul 1 '19 at 8:46
  • 2
    I see no reason why any word wouldn't be able to be used figuratively. – Uhtred Ragnarsson Jul 1 '19 at 8:50
  • 1
    @Uhtred Paradoxically, I cannot think of a way to use figuratively figuratively… – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 1 '19 at 9:36
  • Can't almost anything be used figuratively in the right context? – Jason Bassford Jul 1 '19 at 18:26
  • @JanusBahsJacquet The Winter Olympic figure skating team skated figuratively through the interview. I wouldn't say that's a literal use of figuratively. ;) – Jason Bassford Jul 1 '19 at 18:30

Lexico (The Oxford Dictionaries) says that it can be used figuratively.

centrepiece (US centerpiece)

1 An ornament or display placed in the middle of a dining table.

1.1 An item, issue, etc. intended to be a focus of attention.
a domestic programme with healthcare as the centrepiece

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.