I am hearing this work around the office that there is a position for a temporary 6 month change of duties while remaining in the same [Job Title]. It is pronounced sa-common. I cannot find the actual spelling of this word or its official definition.

  • Depends on the organization and the length and significance of the change, but "temporary reassignment" is fairly common, and I believe that "temporary duty" is used in US government and military organizations.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Mar 4, 2020 at 2:14

1 Answer 1


You may have heard “seconded.” The accent here is on the second syllable. The employee keeps his position in the original organization, with benefits, pay, etc., but is assigned (“seconded”) to another organization or unit for a period of time and reports to them; that unit likely reimburses the original organization for the employee’s pay etc.

A law firm sometimes seconds a lawyer to a major client for the experience and mutual benefits.

Originally military; more common in England than the US. See https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/second

One of the latter definitions, as this is not the most common use of the word.

  • 4
    Or 'secondment'. Commented Jun 8, 2019 at 7:52
  • 1
    @KateBunting I think you’ve got it. Closer to what the OP thinks he heard.
    – Xanne
    Commented Jun 8, 2019 at 23:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.