I'm translating a technical text and can't decide about wording. How do you call a metal box the dishwasher parts are in? The variants are "housing"/"body"/"case"/"frame". Not the "cabinet" - I don't need a wooden box for in-built models. Housing is about computers, isn't it? So what is the correct word? Thanks.

  • Generally a dishwasher intended to be installed "built-in" will have a "frame". – Hot Licks Feb 7 '19 at 13:23
  • What if it is free standing? – Julie Feb 7 '19 at 13:48
  • There isn't really a "recognised" term, but body or case would likely be correctly understood. I'd avoid housing as it can be used for the wooden cabinets for built-in appliances, such as e.g. on diy-kitchens. – AndyT Feb 7 '19 at 14:05
  • 1
    Cabinet does not mean wood. (However, it also doesn't mean what you're talking about here.) – Jason Bassford Supports Monica Feb 7 '19 at 18:38
  • 1
    Free-standing is not the question that was asked. – Hot Licks Feb 7 '19 at 18:48

Going with one of the words you already propose, I would call it the dishwasher frame:


4 a : a machine built upon or within a framework
// a spinning frame
b : an open case or structure made for admitting, enclosing, or supporting something
// a window frame

Note that a frame can be made of any material.

Housing might also work, but I'm used it it being used in a different context. (One involving habitation or smaller items.)


Appliances have a chassis.

Able to be found in high or low temperature models, the Electronic Series from Jet-Tech consists of an especially efficient line of products. The SmartSelf diagnostics alerts help you keep track of maintenance throughout the years, and the OneGo LED Control System features soft-touch buttons and allows you to choose between three different cycle-types. Machines from the Electronic Series aren’t only full of useful properties; dishwasher models from this line have stainless steel chassis components and wash tank for additional longevity.


The chassis of an appliance may be considered to include the body panels or not. Body and housing are perfectly fine also. It really depends on your audience. For the home owner, I might go with housing. For high end commercial gear, I would make the distinction between chassis and body.


If the picture below is what you are asking about, then it is called the dishwasher tub. You can Google this to get confirmation about its widespread use. Here is one example: SEARS Parts Direct.

While some dishwashers are stand-alone and have an exterior cabinet that encloses the tub, the largest part of a cabinet-installed dishwasher would be the tub, with no structural enclosure outside of it.

A Dishwasher Tub

You can find more information about English terms for dishwasher parts by searching "dishwasher parts" and looking at the pictures from that search, along with their corresponding links for more details. That should lead you down a path that helps you out.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.