What's that word for when somebody in an argument is being intentionally humourous and dense to misrepresent a point ? Thank you very much

  • 2
    It might be "facetious"?
    – Wordster
    Commented Nov 17, 2018 at 21:03

2 Answers 2


(Answer was given in a comment, so creating this as Community Wiki)

The word requested is facetious. The definitions given by M-W are:

1 : joking or jesting often inappropriately : WAGGISH // just being facetious

2 : meant to be humorous or funny : not serious // a facetious remark


There's also 'flippant' which means to be intentionally humourous and dense without taking the point seriously. To be facetious you need to actually take the point seriously enough to bother making an effort to misrepresent it, so I guess being facetious is harder work than being flippant ;)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.