I am looking for a word, an adjective, to substitute for 'back and forth' to describe the exerted forward reach then recoil action of a horse's head in a gallop.

'Reciprocate' and 'oscillate' are both problematic - one is precise, machine-like controlled, the other determined organically by gravity, or robotically like a metronome. 'Annuent' is an antiquated word for 'nod', as in a human head nod of assent (based on annuent muscles in head/neck) and fits nicely ... but is unconventional... e.g. "The annuent up-down motion of the horses' heads towards the finish post, ended when the camera froze the inside horse a nose in front".

Any thoughts on a better one?


1 Answer 1


"Bobbing" comes to mind (if specific to a head's motion).


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.