I'm looking to fill in this blank with a single word that means "moved ungracefully."

'...he ______ into the room."

I've considered galumphed, but this has the connotation of a large, awkward body, and the character in this instance is of the skinny, nerdy type.

I've considered bumbled, but this has the connotation of purposelessness, and the entrance into the room is directed and purposeful.

Suggestions? Thanks!

  • @Jim I'm going with lurch. Too bad I can't accept this as an answer ;)
    – MAA
    Aug 13, 2017 at 19:14

2 Answers 2


You could consider lurch.

Defined by Oxford Dictionaries as:

Make an abrupt, unsteady, uncontrolled movement or series of movements; stagger.
‘the car lurched forward’
‘Stuart lurched to his feet’


I might suggest he plodded into the room, or clambered into the room.

(He might also stumble or stagger into the room, though in Scotland you can achieve this gracefully).

  • How do we do that then?
    – Spagirl
    Aug 14, 2017 at 8:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.