Here in Brazil the people whe live in condominiums are called "condômino", the people who represent all residents are called "síndico" (syndic). I want to translate "condômino". Thanks.

  • Co-owner - the co-owners of a condominium. dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/co-owner – user66974 May 30 '17 at 12:44
  • 1
    @Josh: I'm not sure the question is about co-ownership. – Flater May 30 '17 at 12:46
  • @Flater - OP is looking for the English for "condomino". – user66974 May 30 '17 at 12:47
  • Ya, not co-owner. The people live in a condominium, not builded them. Thanks. – rafwell May 30 '17 at 12:48
  • 1
    @Josh: I'm aware. But OP is asking about anyone who lives in a condominium, regardless of whether they are the sole owner, share ownership with others, or even rent the place as opposed to own it. – Flater May 30 '17 at 14:32

As already mentioned in the comments (the citation in support of this answer), there is no specific word in American English for people who live in / own a condominium, which is apparently “a building or complex of buildings containing a number of individually owned apartments or houses”. (The word isn’t really used in British English.)

To suggest how to translate it one would need context. For example, if it were a newspaper report you would use a phrase like:

The condominium residents (or alternatively owners?) held a meeting to decide how to…

Whereas if it were a technical document you might write something like:

The mean annual income of people living in/people owning condominiums has been shown to be 1.8 times higher than those renting apartments

The point that needs to be clarified is whether the term “owner” is valid. I am not familiar with the financial structure of the ownership of this sort of building.


In Canada, where condominiums are common, we would likely say "condo dweller" and would also write this as well, if the writing were informal.

A Google search for "condo dweller" gives results from throughout North America, as well as the alternative "condo-dweller".


According to the Oxford Learner's Dictionary:

[place] dweller

a person or an animal that lives in the particular [place] that is mentioned

"Condominium dweller" would be correct, but "apartment dweller" is much more common, it's even the go-to example on the page.

  • 3
    Dweller is a generic term. Resident might fit as well. – user66974 May 30 '17 at 12:48
  • Currently i'm using resident. I'ts sounds good. – rafwell May 30 '17 at 12:50
  • @Josh: Resident fits, if it's already clear that we are talking about condominiums. If that has not yet been established, resident is too broad. – Flater May 30 '17 at 14:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.