What is the correct word for a speech which is not smooth and with lot of stops ( probably the speaker is not able to find the right english words )

closed as off-topic by MetaEd Mar 1 '17 at 17:01

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – MetaEd
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


"Disfluency" is probably the word you're looking for, it's the technical term describing almost exactly what you're saying:


EDIT - it depends on whether you want to refer to the lack of smoothness itself, or to the speech. "Halting" or "hesitant" might be better adjectives in the latter case.


speak haltingly - is probably what you want, but it does not necessarily carry the connotation of language fluency, as it could pertain to someone who was scared to talk.

stuttering speech - might be reasonable, depending on the context, but only if the person knows the words, but can't find them and is physically attempting to articulate the word by initiating the first syllables.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.