What do you call this? Say you have a small webgame, is there one common word for things like the startscreen, registrationscreen, endscreen, options, etc.

So you have the 'Game Core' and 'XXX'. It's being used for writing an offer.

I thought about the word chrome that is sometimes used, but I have the feeling that refers more specfic to the UX elements on i.e. the game screen.

  • Isn't that usually called main menu? – alwayslearning Nov 1 '16 at 11:39
  • 1
    Chrome is strictly a programming term and should not be used. – Mick Nov 1 '16 at 11:42
  • I agree, it sounds too nerdy. @alwayslearning, could be.. but that still sound really specific. I'm looking for something that could also include the registration process, invite a friend, social buttons etc – Dirk Boer Nov 1 '16 at 11:53
  • 1
    Menu screens/pages might be usable. – Mick Nov 1 '16 at 14:04
  • 4
    Sounds like that stuff "around" the core is peripheral. – Drew Jun 30 '17 at 1:56

Things that are not central are often called


Where you're talking about operations, things that are not the main point of it and are there only to support these peripheral features might be called:





You could call that stuff the game user interface or game UI or game interface. Doing a google search on any of the above returns a ton of results.

From gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com:

UI, or User Interface, refers to the methods (keyboard control, mouse control) and interfaces (inventory screen, map screen) through which a user interacts with your game. UX, or User Experience, refers to how intuitive and enjoyable those interactions are.

  • Going by OP's word usage, what you're describing is also part of the 'Game Core'. Technically speaking, everything that is made visible by the game (or even just your computer) is UI. But in most cases, especially gaming, UI is intended to mean "things the player sees, but the characters in the game world cannot". – Flater May 31 '17 at 8:00

You may want to call such things essentials.


essential noun

1 : something basic : the essentials of astronomy
2 : something necessary, indispensable, or unavoidable

this will be just an introduction to the essentials of computer programming

  • Has been downvoted by someone but I do like it actually – Dirk Boer Nov 1 '16 at 14:33

Anything depicted "in front" of the game world can be called part of the overlay.

overlay noun

5. something laid over something else; covering.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.