I'm writing a letter to a loved one, and there are two words that have been eluding me for weeks. The first is a word for a sort of in-between place, that's kind of like "hinterland", but not exactly. It may also have something to do with the word "forest".

The second is a word for "accept", that's kind of like "swallow", but not exactly. Do you know what either of these words might be?

  • 1
    Welcome to ELU.SE.This site strives to provide well researched, intriguing questions. Take the site tour or have a look at the help center to find out more about good questions. Single word requests in particular are required to have an example sentence where the word would be used. Primarily to make clear what kind of word you are looking for. Also it is common to ask one question per word. However, it might be prudent to check the synonym sections of a dictionary first.
    – Helmar
    Sep 28, 2016 at 9:36
  • For the first, check out "verge" in a dictionary. Deer thrive on the verges between forest and cleared land. Litter accumulates on the verge of the road. As for accept, there are lots of synonyms and there are various degrees of acceptance.
    – ab2
    Sep 28, 2016 at 11:00
  • 1
    ab2's "verge" seems good. "accept" and "swallow" seem very vague without a context, let alone a sentence to house them but what about simply "take"? As in "I can take that"; "Can you take that?" (Or "I can buy that…") Oct 11, 2016 at 22:20

1 Answer 1


For the first word, perhaps interstice?

For the second, the phrase "not able to stomach" comes to mind.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.