I'm looking for a word that means 'to do or see, etc. something until it no longer fazes you'.

For example, a doctor who is used to seeing blood will not flinch or faint at the sight of it. Usually that 'something' is unpleasant. Acclimatize doesn't quite hit the mark. If memory serves right, the word perhaps begins with an 'i'. Of course, I could be wrong.

  • Can you provide an example sentence? – NVZ Sep 4 '16 at 12:10
  • 1
    I would suggest 'become accustomed to…' – BladorthinTheGrey Sep 4 '16 at 12:11
  • inure, starts with i. – NVZ Sep 4 '16 at 12:13


verb, with object (usually be inured to) Accustom (someone) to something, especially something unpleasant.

"these children have been inured to violence."
"After seven years in the firing line with Rangers and three-and-a-half years prising out body pellets at Goodison Park, Smith is inured to criticism."

See more definitions and examples from OneLook Dictionary Search

| improve this answer | |
  • Brilliant! Thank you oh my gosh this has been driving me crazy until now. – Eritrea Yunani Sep 4 '16 at 12:59

In psychology, there is a technical term, which the layman can also use:


"desensitization: a behavior modification technique, used especially in treating phobias, in which panic or other undesirable emotional response to a given stimulus is reduced or extinguished, especially by repeated exposure to that stimulus." -- dictionary.com

Note, the therapeutic technique of choice to accomplish this is called Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP).

Usage examples:

As a medical student, you have to desensitize yourself to the sight of blood.

With repeated exposures, you can become less sensitive to the sight of blood.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.