I'm looking for the definition of a phrase like this, where two ideas of thought are reversed and still make sense.

Nothing too exciting to report, but reporting nonetheless is exciting.

I feel like sentences like this should have a proper name.


I found the answer. The phrase is actually called an antimetabole, defined by Wikipedia as:

the repetition of words in successive clauses, but in transposed order (e.g., "I know what I like, and I like what I know").

|improve this answer|||||
  • 2
    +1 I was going to say chiasmus (having lived through Latin and Greek in high school [during the dark ages]) but on deeper reflection, you are more right! – bib Apr 27 '16 at 21:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.