If not having a certain dominant hand (or "both-handed") is called being ambidextrous, what is it called if you are "both-footed"?

  • Most people aren't even aware that they have a dominant foot, so there's not likely to be much in the way of (non-medical) terminology for it.
    – Hot Licks
    May 28, 2015 at 0:27
  • 1
    Duh? Ambipedantic!
    – bib
    May 28, 2015 at 0:31
  • @bib I was thinking something similar... ambipedrous?
    – Rajiv
    May 28, 2015 at 0:33
  • 1
    If you can't dance (or are very clumsy) we say, "You have two left feet." How about: "He has two right feet"?
    – Oldbag
    May 28, 2015 at 12:04

2 Answers 2


'Ambidextrous' is the word.

'ambi-' = both, '-dextrous' = right, so together it is as though both are equally dominant. Usually, your feet (and eyes) follow the same dominance as your hands. So if your hands are both dominant, your feet will both be dominant, too.

But if for some reason your feet have different dominance pattern than your hands, maybe you're left handed but right-footed, then you'd say well right-footed. And if both feet are dominant, then the way to say it is

your feet are ambidextrous.

  • It is far from uncommon for people to be right-handed and left-footed.
    – Jessica B
    Jan 18, 2016 at 10:23

Two-footed is used in sports, especially in soccer/football.

Of a footballer: able to kick equally well with either foot. [OED]

Ambipedal is a synonym but it is not a common word like ambidextrous.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.