enter image description here

I'm referring to the wave-like bumps on that dog house's roof. What do you call them?

  • 12
    Do you mean the corrugations that were there before it was damaged? Those are the only bumps I see that I'd describe as wave-like. – Jon Hanna Jan 5 '15 at 12:22
  • 1
    I'd also guess that was iron or steel, galvanized (coated with zinc) to avoid rust. – Jon Hanna Jan 5 '15 at 12:24
  • asbestos corrugated roofing ? – Misti Jan 5 '15 at 12:26
  • "Bumps". Or, if you mean the horizontal waves that were present from the start, "corrugations". – Hot Licks Jan 5 '15 at 12:36
  • 1
    @MystiSinha - Definitely not asbestos. Probably steel, might vaguely be aluminum. – Hot Licks Jan 5 '15 at 12:36

If you mean the bumps caused by damage then bumps would serve but dents would be common, and is particularly likely to be used when they are from damage.

If you mean the wave-like ridges across the entire surface, then corrugations. That sort of metal is called corrugated iron.

| improve this answer | |
  • 11
    It's important to note that the corrugations are not caused by damage - it's part of the manufacturing process and is intentional. – MikeTheLiar Jan 5 '15 at 15:07
  • +1, Though I have never heard "corrugated iron", in California it is usually called "corrugated steel". – Phil Jan 5 '15 at 19:59
  • 1
    @Phil you must have moved with the times; it's normally made of steel rather than iron and has been for some time, but "corrugated iron" remains as the name in at least some places as a hangover. – Jon Hanna Jan 5 '15 at 21:39
  • I've always thought such roofs were made exclusively of tin but maybe that's just a local idiom? Ngram suggests 'probably' – Patrick M Jan 5 '15 at 23:01

When metal surfaces are damaged via force, there are lots of different terms that may apply:

  • dented
  • crumpled or buckled (typically described vehicle crash damage--though buckling is also common with heat expansion)
  • divoted or pocked (typically describes hail damage)

And even more generic terms such as 'smashed' work just fine in a lot of cases.

As other's have stated, the horizontal 'waves' aren't damage, but part of the manufacturing process.

| improve this answer | |

When a metal surface becomes distorted (not as part of the design, as in corrugation) it can be said to have crinkles or to be crinkled. But that would be a lay term, not one that a metallurgist might use.

| improve this answer | |

I would describe a damaged metal surface as wrinkled if it is deformed as the photo shows and not merely bent or corroded.

I would also use it to describe any corrugated surface, like corrugated paper, after being crumpled. I would also use this word to describe any smooth surface, as in a car body panel, after a collision. I think wrinkled implies unintended irregularity and hence damage. The asker does specifically state "damaged."

I have to assume that laypersons know that corrugations, when they appear, are intentional and not a consequence of damage since they appear in so many places and they are simply too regular in application to be the result of damage.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.