I am looking for a word to describe people such as barber, ironsmith, tailor, carpenter etc. People with miscellaneous specialty who would move to a village to serve others who are normally into agriculture. Any ideas?

  • Depending on the domain, area of business, etc., different terms are employed, including skilled worker, artisan, tradesman, technician, smith, wright, artificer, etc. – Kris Dec 7 '14 at 5:47
  • If you are writing a story ... Guildsman - the bunching of skilled labour into a collective. Frequently, such collectives are monopolising collectives. Guildsmen provide services no others can provide and none other allowed to provide unless being part of the fascist (Italian for bunching) socialist collective. – Blessed Geek Dec 7 '14 at 15:45
  • @BlessedGeek Thank you! I am translating a book from my native language into English. – mkc Dec 7 '14 at 16:38

Tradespeople should suit your need.

  • 3
    Also craftsmen (or craftsfolk). – John Lawler Dec 6 '14 at 23:21
  • Yeah, 40 years ago they would have been "tradesmen", but now "tradespeople". – Hot Licks Dec 7 '14 at 0:49
  • @HotLicks "40 years ago they would have been tradesmen , then tradespeople , now (as always,) tradesmen , which was never incorrect in the first place. :) – Kris Dec 7 '14 at 5:49
  • What's not right about all the other synonyms? – Kris Dec 7 '14 at 5:50
  • Is there a rant on the goodol days goinonin here? – Blessed Geek Dec 8 '14 at 6:16

Artisans might be another possibility.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.