We know about the situation called - exodus. But is there any single word to name the people who are in that exodus? I mean, is there any single word to describe people who are leaving a place in mass for better situation or for any otehr reason?

  • 1
    It depends on why they're leaving: migrant, refugee, returnee, etc.
    – Lawrence
    Apr 15 '20 at 14:42
  • "Refugee" is probably the closest, but look at the synonyms of that word.
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 15 '20 at 14:51
  • Note that, in another sense, the people of an exodus (especially The Exodus) might be called "wanderers".
    – Hot Licks
    Apr 15 '20 at 15:26
  • 1
    As a group, particularly if they don't all move to the same place, they might be referred to as a diaspora.
    – The Photon
    Apr 15 '20 at 17:23
  • Exodic dancers. Apr 15 '20 at 17:25

According to M-W, an exodus is "a mass departure: EMIGRATION", where EMIGRATION means "an act or instance of emigrating : departure from a place of abode, natural home, or country for life or residence elsewhere." This suggests émigré as an appropriate answer. It has the advantage of being more general than words like refugee (one could emigrate for any number of reasons), but like refugee and other words, it need not always connote the idea of a mass departure, although it often does.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.