I wrote the following:

A creaking metallic sound awakened Erin. Raising her eyes, she looked to the front. It came from the door. Someone was opening the elevator. She waited expectantly while the struggle continued on the other side, her heart pounding with each bang. There was a screeching sound. Then, finally, the door clanked open. The bright light that (...) in blinded Erin.

I could only think of come and stream. But I think they don't give the feeling of light coming in "abruptly." I though of rush. But I think it's not very common to use it to describe movement of light?

What verb to use to describe light coming in rapidly?

  • What about flashed? – Noah Sep 15 '13 at 4:22
  • Aside from that, I would probably use look at the front. And It came from the door is a bit ambiguous too. – Noah Sep 15 '13 at 4:27
  • 1
    The velocity of light remains the same regardless if door is open or closed. – Blessed Geek Sep 15 '13 at 4:30
  • Light is often said to flood in. – JLG Sep 15 '13 at 21:40

Past literature that I've read of such situations ...

the sudden flash of light blinded her eyes

the light abruptly flooded her eyes with a blinding intensity

the bright light rushing in blinded her

  • I like flood in this situation. It’s very evocative—as if light were a fast-moving liquid. – Jon Purdy Sep 15 '13 at 4:59

Instead of The bright light that (...) in, try perhaps

  • The effulgent rays of light that blazed in

And have you tried with any of these:

beamed in, zoomed in, zipped in, zapped in, barged in, rushed in, surged in, burst in, busted in, shot in, stormed in, pierced in, speared in?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.